Sent when the user uses a “play” or “resume” button with the intent to start or resume playback. Sent when the user uses a “pause” button with the intent to stop playback. Sent when the user uses a “next” button with the intent to skip to the next audio item. Your skill is not required to respond to AudioPlayer requests but if it does, please be aware that it can only respond with the AudioPlayer directives mentioned earlier .
Some are must-have if you own relevant devices; for example, you’ll need to enable the Sonos app to make Alexa play nice with your connected speakers. Alexa is Amazon’s digital assistant, first launched in 2014 along with the Amazon Echo smart speaker. Alexa can provide results for web searches, order products from Amazon, and act as a hub for compatible IoT devices all via voice commands.
Wait For Amazon Prime Membership Sale
Alexa doesn’t have other voices, but there are a variety of accents depending on the language. Jackson, these don’t work with all of Alexa’s features (like reminders, to-do lists, Skills, and shopping). You won’t need to worry about a thirsty lawn with a Wi-Fi sprinkler system. Ask Alexa to make quick adjustments for changes in the weather. If a storm moves in, all it takes is a voice command to add a rain delay.
- She currently covers all things home security and moving for Reviews Amazon Alexa.org and she especially likes finding smart home devices that would make even a robot proud.
- The one downside is that the reminder only sounds off on the Echo device on which you set it.
- Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.
- This premium Sonos soundbar sounds great, and it’s able to hear your voice command requests when the music is cranked.
- It’s surprising how much of a difference a few milliseconds make in maintaining the illusion of intelligence in our machines.
- You can even tell her to set your SousVide machine to a certain temperature if it’s smart-connected.
And, you get three days of timeline and media storage, unlimited user accounts, and they are capable of connecting up to 155 devices and up to 100 automations. As with any service that collects data and stores it in the cloud, data breaches are possible. It has to be connected to your Amazon accounts to remain useful.
Lenovo Smart Display 7 Is Still The Most Underrated Smart Display
The privacy conversation shouldn’t be limited to just Alexa. It’s a good time to continue — or start — the conversation that almost everything on the internet might possibly be seen by someone else or recorded. If your child is old enough to understand privacy issues, explain when Alexa does and doesn’t listen to what is being said, what information it’s recording, where that information goes and who has access to it. Amazon has a page with more information about Alexa privacy.